Here’s a great way to cool off: get ready for Straub’s Summer Produce Sale (June 17-23, 2013) with these perfect recipes for summer! From Caprese Salad, to Watermelon Smoothies & Fruit Tarts, these recipes are perfect to bring to any summertime celebration.
6 Cups Fresh sliced peaches
1 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1/3 Cup butter, melted
1.Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add mixture to beaten egg and mix until combined.
4. Place fruit in separate baking dish & sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Add dry ingredients to the top of fruit in baking dish.
6. Pour melted butter over top.
7. Bake for one hour. You want this to bubble up and brown a little on top.
8. Serve with ice cream or cool whip.
Poppy Seed Fruit Salad
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup limeade concentrate
2 tsp poppy seeds
1 cup fresh halved strawberries
1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup cubed seedless watermelon
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. In a small bowl, combine the honey, limeade concentrate, and poppy seeds. In a serving bowl, combine the fruit. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Watermelon Mojito Popsicles
8oz. watermelon juice (2 ½ cups chopped watermelon)
2 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz. simple mint syrup (recipe follows)
8 oz. light rum
14 oz. club soda
1. Place chopped watermelon in a food processor or blender and process until watermelon is juiced (will be slightly pulpy).
2. Combine watermelon juice, lime juice, mint syrup, and rum in a shaker and shake well. Fill popsicle mold 3/4 of the way up with mixture. Fill remaining popsicle mold with club soda and stir to combine.
3. Freeze for about 2 hours or until mixture starts to solidify enough to hold a popsicle stick upright. Insert popsicle sticks and finish freezing popsicles overnight. To release popsicles run hot water on the outside of popsicle molds for a 2-3 seconds.
(You will have more syrup than you need. Save for other cocktail uses)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cups sugar
1 cup mint leaves, loosely packed
1. Place sugar and water in a pot over heat until sugar dissolves. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature and place mint leaves in mixture and muddle. Allow mint leaves to steep for 20 minutes. Strain and discard leaves. (Depending on the fine-ness of the sieve tiny pieces may remain).
Fruit Salsa with Baked Cinnamon Chips
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 apples – peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces raspberries
1 (16 oz) carton of strawberries, diced
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
melted butter or butter flavored cooking spray
1 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1.In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
2.Preheat oven to 350°F.
3.Coat one side of each flour tortilla with melted butter or butter flavored cooking spray. Sprinkle tortillas with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Spray again with cooking spray (not necessary if using melted butter).
4.Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.
Bing Cherry Mojito
1 lime, cut in half
12 mint leaves
6 bing cherries, stems removed and pitted
¼ cup cherry simple syrup (recipe follows)
1½ ounces white rum
Cherry simple syrup
¾ cup bing cherries, stems removed and pitted
½ cup water
¼ cup sugar
1. Make the simple syrup. Heat water and sugar over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Let cool slightly, then add to a blender along with the ¾ cup bing cherries. Puree, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small container or pitcher. Set aside.
2. In a large, sturdy glass, muddle together the lime halves, mint, and cherries until the lime juice has been released and the mint and cherries are well-smashed.
3. Stir in the cherry simple syrup and white rum.
4. Fill glass with ice and top off with club soda. Add a wide straw, garnish with a mint sprig and a cherry, and serve.
1 cup watermelon cubes
1 cup cantaloupe cubes
1 cup honeydew balls
1/3 cup lime juice
2 T sugar
2 T honey
1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1.In a small bowl, combine the melon balls. In another bowl, combine the lime juice, sugar, and honey; pour over melon and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with coconut. garnish with mint if desired.
Summertime Watermelon Smoothie
1 cup cubed watermelon
2 T honey
dash of cinnamon
1 (6 ounce) carton of low-fat lemon yogurt
1. Process watermelon, honey, and cinnamon just a little to mix.
2. Add lemon yogurt, pulse quickly and serve immediately.
Blueberry Banana Bread
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1/4 cup fat free buttermilk
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp canola oil
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup blueberries (I used a whole pint)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
In another bowl combine 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas, 1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk,
2 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp canola oil, 2 large egg whites, 1 large egg, and 1 tsp grated lemon zest. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, then stir in 1 cup blueberries.
2.Pour batter into 9x5x3-inch loaf pan coated with baking spray; bake 1 hour. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
3.In a bowl combine 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 1/2 grated lemon zest. Spread over top loaf; cool completely.
Roasted Grape Tomato Caprese Salad
Pint of grape tomatoes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
8-10 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
Salt to taste
1.Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Cut tomatoes in half.
3. Mix tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
4. Place tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
5. Roast for about 15 minutes or until the tomatoes just begin to burst.
6. Remove tomatoes to a serving dish.
7. Stir in basil and mozzarella.
8. Salt to taste.
Just double the recipe for larger portions or more people. Use mozzarella flavored substitute for a dairy-free version.
3 cups water
3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 cup ginger ale
1. In a blender, process the water, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and peel in batches until smooth.
2. Pour into pitcher; stir in the ginger ale. Serve over ice.
Festive Fruit Tart
Pastry for single crust pie
1 package cream cheese
3 T sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp almond extract, divided
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 medium ripe peach
1 T apricot preserves
1. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of a non-greased 9-in tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges. Generously prick the bottom with a fork. Bake at 450°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and 1/2 tsp of almond extract until smooth; spread over crust. Arrange fruit over cream cheese mixture.
3. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine apricot preserves and the remaining almond extract. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 20-30 seconds or until warm; brush over fruit. Store in the refrigerator.
8 hours ago @StraubsMarkets Did anyone come in this week and try our #GrownUpLunchables? Our 4-Square #SnackPacks are a #GreatDeal. ONLY $5.99! http://t.co/rYFnf5XKqQ
14 hours ago @StraubsMarkets #BackToSchool means sandwiches made with great #DeliCheeses + #DeliMeats. A bunch are on sale this weekend so you can #BuildYourOwnSandwich!
18 hours ago @StraubsMarkets RT @VinVanDoughnut: Doughnuts, made from scratch, @straubsmarkets now! Like this Lemon Lavender http://t.co/OYRcm9ODWx