Osso Buco is a popular Milanese dish featuring veal shanks braised in a white wine and tomato sauce. Braising is a great way to cook meat so it turns out perfectly falling apart tender and full of flavor. The osso buco veal shank is cut such that the marrow of the bone is exposed and it starts to melt into the pot as the veal braises, infusing the dish with even more flavor. Osso bucco is commonly served with a gremolata topping that consists of chopped up garlic, parsley and lemon zest. Served on a bed of risotto to soak up the excess sauce, this is a dish that your dinner guests will appreciate and talk about for weeks. Classically served with Amarone, but a rich Californian Pinot Noir will also be great. Thanks to Closet Cooking for sharing!
(makes 4 servings)
4 veal shank
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
4 ounces pancetta (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 stalk celery (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 lemon (zest only)
2 cups white wine
2 cups beef stock
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1. Season the veal with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour shaking off any excess.
2. Cook the pancetta in a large oven proof pan and set aside reserving the grease in the pan.
3. Brown the veal on all sides on med/high heat one at a time and set aside.
4. Add some more oil to the pan if needed and saute the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and lemon zest on medium heat until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
5. Add the wine, stock and tomatoes and deglaze the pan and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the pancetta, veal, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary and bring to a simmer.
7. Cover and transfer to a preheated 350°F oven and cook until the veal is fall off the bone tender, about 1 to 2.5 hours, turning the veal over in the middle. (Check the liquid every once in a while and top it off with some more beef broth if it falls to half way up the veal.)
Truffle Almond Gremolata
This Milanese preparation is classically served atop a long-braised lamb shank, osso buco, but it’s also great on grilled lamb chops, pork chops or even grilled chicken or fish. (And a little sprinkled over pasta is a marvel!)
We’ve added almonds, actually Truffle Almonds from Miller Farms in Modesto, CA, to boost the flavor and up the ante on a classic! If Truffle Almonds aren’t in stock, you could also try any roasted almonds or nut blend of your choosing.
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped Truffle Almonds
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Of course, you could make this in the food processor. But you’ll run the risk of ending up with a puree and that is NOT what you want. Sharpen your knives and spend the time to do this by hand – it’ll pay off in the end. You’re not looking for a sauce, but rather a topping.
Finely chop the parsley and toss in a bowl with the lemon zest. Mince the garlic (or use a microplane) and stir to combine. Chop the almonds into a fine crumb and combine. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and serve atop your favorite dish.
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup arborio rice (or other medium or short grained rice)
1/2 cup wine
2 cups chicken stock (warm or vegetable broth)
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1 tablespoon butter
salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat butter in large sauce pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter.
5. Add the wine, deglaze the pan and stir while simmering until it is gone.
6. Add 1/2 cup of the stock at a time and stir while simmering until it is gone. Continue until the rice is al dente.
7. Add the parmigiano reggiano and butter and stir to combine.
7 hours ago @StraubsMarkets "My only guilty pleasure is a good rack of ribs, even at 7:30 in the morning." Get your #Grillin on today! #Straubs #WhatWouldFrankDo
2 days ago @StraubsMarkets Pair your #seafood tonight with a crisp & refreshing glass of #Butter #chardonnay now avail. at #Straubs! http://t.co/hFnaQeO32y
2 days ago @StraubsMarkets Happy #FishFriday! #Fish lunch specials avail. today at all #Straubs locations http://t.co/Yek3kwcArZ