- 1 pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, deboned and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 4 leeks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, layer the chicken, ham, leeks and onion a couple of times each until the dish is full.
- Season each layer with a little salt, pepper and mace. Pour the chicken stock over the layers, and dampen the edges of the dish.
- Roll the pie pastry out large enough to cover the top of the dish, and place over the top.
- Crimp the sides down with a fork, and trim the excess from the edges.
- Cut a round hole in the center of the pastry.
- Roll dough scraps out and cut into strips. Use the strips to form a design, and place lightly over the hole. Brush the entire top with milk.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is cooked through. If the top crust is getting too brown, cover it with parchment or aluminum foil.
- While the pie is baking, heat the cream over low heat.
- When the pie is cooked, remove from the oven, and carefully remove the design from the hole. Pour the cream into the hole, and replace the design. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
1 day ago @StraubsMarkets @abl540 Stock up with us anytime! Hope to see you soon!
1 day ago @StraubsMarkets 2 words: #peach #margaritas. Check out this great #memorialday #drink recipe @ http://t.co/dKKQZ6lyey #cheers… https://t.co/L8P07xOKve
1 day ago @StraubsMarkets @NicoleHCook Sounds delicious! What are some of your favorite places to food shop in STL?! #shoplocal #straubs