Thanks to all who played Asian Pop Trivia Jeopardy this week! In case you were wondering, here are the answers to the questions…
1) Little girls love this cartoon cat from Japan. Who is Hello Kitty?
Learn more about this pop culture sensation here.Explanation of other answers:
Maru is popular on YouTube, mostly in her adventures with cardboard boxes.
Meowth & Pikachu are both types of Pokemon, but only Meowth is a cat.
2) Pokemon is a popular example of this art form. What is Anime?
Anime are Japanese animated productions featuring hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of “animation” in Japanese
3. This fictional pop culture icon first appeared in a 1954 Japanese film and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Who is Godzilla?
Godzilla first appeared in Ishirō Honda’s 1954 film Godzilla. Since then, Godzilla has gone on to become a worldwide pop culture icon starring in 28 films produced by Toho Co., Ltd.. Godzilla’s walk of fame star can be found at 6925 Hollywood Blvd.
Bruce Lee, while also found at 6933 Hollywood Blvd., first appeared in 1966 as the role of Kato in The Green Hornet series.
Neither Toshirô Mifune nor Jet Li have received stars on the Walk of Fame.
4. This popular Taiwanese drink often comes with chewy tapioca pearls. What is Boba Tea?
Boba Tea, also known as Bubble Tea, is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in tea shops in Taichung, Taiwan, during the 1980s. The slushy drinks are often flavored with syrups and contain chewy pearls made from Tapioca.
Sapporo and Bia Lao are both Beers. Sake is a fermented rice beverage.
5. This YouTube video went viral and now has over 1.7 billion views. What is Gangnam Style?
Psy’s “Gangnam Style” video is possibly the most viewed YouTube video right now. While Maru the Cat and sneezing baby pandas are adorable, they have not received so many views.
6. Along with Hawaii, President Obama spent his youth in this Pacific Island Country. What is Indonesia?
7. This art of balancing energy within a room was developed in China 3000 years ago. What is Feng Shui?
Feng shui is an ancient art and science developed over 3,000 years ago in China. It is a complex body of knowledge that reveals how to balance the energies of any given space to assure health and good fortune for people inhabiting it. Feng shui reflects the principle of Yin-Yang (balance & harmony); however it applies this and other ancient ideologies to the aspects of environment and physical space. Learn more here.
8. The popular dish known as Pad Thai is believed to originate in this country. What are both China and Vietnam?
While Thailand claims the famous dish (and most Thai restaurants are judged by their preparation thereof), the creation of Pad Thai can be traced back to southern Chinese—and in some instances Vietnamese—cuisine. It was adopted by Thailand’s Prime Minister in an attempt to spread Thai culture.
9. This company is the third largest in Japan and concurrently owns the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball team. What is Nintendo?
4 hours ago @StraubsMarkets There's no better way to get into the holiday spirit than with Bissinger's 1.5 LB Chocolate Santa! On sale this week. http://t.co/ZOtFRxssGJ
6 hours ago @StraubsMarkets My Grandma's Coffee Cakes were just featured on QVC! You can ship this perfect gift at Straub's Online Market: http://t.co/Tde5vG83RO
6 hours ago @StraubsMarkets People Magazine named Cheerwine the best gift to give from North Carolina! Come give it a try at… http://t.co/WZdAiMvYsx