- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 cups chopped onion (about 3 onions)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 (11.2-ounce) bottle Guinness Stout
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices carrot (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices parsnip (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled turnip (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt; dredge beef in flour.
- Add half of beef to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and beef.
- Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Return meat to pan. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, raisins, caraway seeds, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and bring to a boil. Cook 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrot, parsnip, and turnip. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
1 day ago @StraubsMarkets Online ordering now available for #RoshHashana. We make it easy with complete dinners as well as a la carte items: http://t.co/PlAl9z0rYj
2 days ago @StraubsMarkets At 5 pm, we're opening the doors for #DemystifyingItalianWines, a complimentary tasting of wines, cheeses, appetizers at our Clayton store!
3 days ago @StraubsMarkets Sunday is the final day to come by and grab savings on these #SpanishWeek items. Stop in and try something #delicious http://t.co/utuQDr9vp6